Calling all kids - and their parents! The Tri 4 Schools Fall Mud Run is fast-approaching and will be held on Saturday, September 27 starting at 8 am in Festival Park, Verona, WI. With three different distances for various ages and ultra-fun obstacles plus (of course!) an awesome mud pit, there's something for everyone. And your race fees directly support fitness and healthy lifestyle programs in schools.
Thinking about doing the Tri 4 Schools Fall Mud Run? We caught up with Tri 4 Schools founder Katie Hensel, who shared these five tips:
1. Dress for success. A dirty mud runner is a happy mud runner! Remember, dirt is a must-have accessory. Bring old shoes and clothes that can be adorned with soil and sweat, and also bring along a set of spare clothes and shoes for after the race. Pro tip: Mud pits can swallow shoes whole depending on your technique. Some find it helpful to secure footwear with duct tape.
2. Towels and plastic bags are super-useful. A trash bag is not only handy for containing messy clothes; in a pinch, it doubles as a good seat on damp ground. You'll want a towel to dry off with, and a second towel can make a decent seat as well, either on its own layered on top of a plastic bag. Yes, changing tents are available courtesy of Tri 4 Schools. (They've thought of everything!)
3. The family that runs together has fun together. NEW for this race: Parents or other adult friends and family members can register to run with your kids for any of the three distances! Choose from approximately 1/3 mi (recommended for age 6 and under), 1.5 mi (ages 7 to 11), or a 5K (3.1 mi, ages 12 and up). There's nothing quite like tackling a giant inflatable obstacle as a family, seeing whether Dad can beat the kids at a potato sack hop, or grabbing hands and diving into the mud pit together. Last one home is a rotten egg!
4. Do good while having fun. The unique nonprofit business model of Tri 4 Schools means that all of your kids' race entry fees will go back to your child's school to fund health and fitness resources, from equipment for physical education classes to healthy nutrition education programs. You can make a difference!
5. Scholarships are available. Any child that qualifies for free/reduced lunch at their school can participate in the Tri 4 Schools Mud Run for FREE. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
So what are you waiting for? Join in the awesome power of mud and more. And don't forget, your free FocalShare™ digital race photos will be available for download after the mud run, sponsored by Tri 4 Schools, Elements Massage (check out their new location in Fitchburg!), and Functional Integrated Training. Please send your thanks to these organizations for providing FocalShare photos! Our photographers can't wait to see your smiles on the course.